Avian & Exotic Pet Care in Yorktown
Veterinary Services for Small Exotic Animals in Newport News
At Grafton Animal Hospital, our doctors and staff have a strong interest in medical care for domestic birds, small exotic mammals, and reptiles. Our hospital is one of the few facilities on the peninsula that welcomes exotic pets. In fact, many of our new bird and exotic pet patients are referred to us by other animal hospitals near Yorktown.
We offer a wide range of services with exotic pets in mind, including:
Have an exotic pet? Make sure they get the best care possible. Call Grafton Animal Hospital at (757) 384-9399.
Our Recommendations for Exotic Pet Care
Our Yorktown exotic veterinarians are passionate about caring for all types of animals, from birds to reptiles to small mammals. We are knowledgeable about proper care procedures for all types of exotics.
Key services for exotic pets include:
- Exams: A physical is exam recommended twice a year.
- Intestinal parasite prevention and treatment: Intestinal parasites can be found in your pocket pet. Some of these parasites can be transmitted to humans. Your pet should be checked and de-wormed each year. This is achieved with a microscopic examination of a fresh stool sample.
- Wellness bloodwork and urinalysis: We recommend these tests once a year. Urinalysis should only be performed for ferrets, rabbits and guinea pigs.
- Spay and neuter: We recommend spaying (ovariohysterectomy) female pets and neutering (castration) male pets. Spays and neuters can be performed on ferrets, rabbits, rodents, and guinea pigs.
You Can Count on Our Knowledgeable Veterinarians
Proficiency in avian and exotic medicine requires extra education, special equipment, and a commitment by our team. Our staff attends annual formal continuing education focused on the latest developments in exotic animal care.
Our veterinarians are members of the following:
- Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)
- Mid-Atlantic States Association of Avian Veterinarians (MASAAV)
- Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV)
- Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians (ARAV)
Great resources to aid in the treatment of these special pets.
Monthly Continuing Education for All Staff Members
We believe that education is the key to preventing illness and shortening the recovery time for your pet's ailments.
High-Quality Care Tailored to Each Patient
We value the human-animal bond and strive to provide premium, loving care for your pet's unique needs.
Fully Equipped and Prepared for Your Pet's Needs
Our hospital is a 6,000 sq ft facility with a large kennel, grooming room, treatment area, and more to best serve our patients.
“He loved staying at the kennel”- Junes Wedd
“Truly a remarkable place!”- Gina
“He is happy and looks well cared for and relaxed!”- Rick